One chance to make a good first impression is all you have, as the old saying goes. In addition, the same is true when it comes to your house. That all-important first impression is determined by the first thing that your neighbors, guests, and potential buyers see when they first look at the exterior of your home. Any exterior features that your home has will require you to consider adding or replacing your siding at some point in the future.
Roof, siding, windows, doors, landscaping, and the yard itself all play a role in a home’s overall appearance and functionality. In this article, however, we’ll be focusing on the siding. Despite the fact that most modern siding products are designed to last for many years, the brutal summers and harsh winters can still take their toll, both on the product’s performance and its appearance. Warping, cracking, fading or excessive mold growth are some of the problems you may be experiencing. Your siding may need to be replaced if it has deteriorated.
Some parts of the country, especially the West, are still dominated by wood siding – some residents there never even think about using anything else as a siding material! For centuries, natural wood siding has been used for its distinctive appearance and texture. When it comes to some homeowners, wood is the real deal. Although every siding solution has its advantages and disadvantages, here are a few things to keep in mind when using wood for your exterior walls.
Which Siding is Best for Your House?
Consider taking a drive around your neighbourhood to see what types of homes you like and dislike. Take note of the siding types, materials, design elements, and colour schemes. You should also consider your home’s roof, windows and other exterior features to get a better idea of which siding style would work best with your home’s exterior features.
Many homeowners desire to have their homes match their surroundings, without necessarily copying the exact style of their neighbours’ homes.
Also, check to see if your neighbourhood has any restrictions on siding types before you commit. Some communities or HOAs have regulations in place about permissible building materials and siding colors, so you’ll definitely want to get familiar with any limitations that may apply in your particular situation.
Pros of Wood Siding
- To give wood a variety of colors and finishes, it can be painted or stained. The wood siding itself can be repaired or replaced if necessary, depending on the situation. Wood siding can last a long time if it’s properly maintained.
- Wood is a sustainable material. As a result of its biodegradability and renewable status, it does not emit excessive amounts of pollutants during the manufacturing process. As long as you’re concerned about the environment, wood siding can be an excellent alternative to vinyl or aluminum siding.
- It has a natural look and feel to it, just like any other wood product. Aside from this, wood siding is more customizable than some other types of siding other available siding materials.
- If you’re planning to sell your home and want to increase its resale value, a wood siding replacement could be a good option. Due to wood’s aesthetic value, real estate investors have noted that wood-sided homes can command a higher price. As a result, many home buyers are willing to pay more for a home that has wood siding.
- Generally, wood is still readily available and easy to install if you know what you’re doing. As a DIY project, those with carpentry skills may be able to install wood siding themselves thus saving some money on labor costs in the process.
- Wood siding comes in a number of styles and designs, including lap, shingle, shake, tongue and groove, board and batten, and bevel. With all of these potential applications, wood siding can be suitable for practically any architectural style.
Cons of Wood Siding
- Wooden siding maintenance can be time-consuming and expensive. As a result of moisture or other environmental concerns, some wood siding styles require frequent staining or repainting. Most people are aware that wood is a breeding ground for pests like termites and woodpeckers. You should also be aware that regular pest control inspections and treatments are part of your ongoing maintenance plans if you decide to use natural wood.
- Many types of wood siding have the disadvantage of providing no additional insulation value beyond the wood itself. Damage and weathering are also greater risks than with other siding options.
- A rotten or cracked piece of wood must be replaced immediately. Moisture can seep into your home through a single deteriorated wood siding strip and cause additional problems. In order to prevent damage from rain, humidity, or wind-driven precipitation, you’ll need to apply a sufficient amount of water sealant.
- Wood shakes and shingles have poor fire ratings due to their poor flame spread. As a result of this fact, your home insurance premiums may rise as well. Even worse, wood siding can increase your home’s vulnerability to fire.
- Most wood siding should be cleaned at least annually in order to remove any buildup of dirt and/or mildew. And because the preferred cleaning approach for wood involves a soft-bristled brush rather than a power washer (a high-pressure washer can cause damage), the process can be long and labor-intensive.
You should be able to get many years of service out of your new siding with proper care and maintenance. Having the right maintenance plan isn’t always enough to make up for an incorrect siding installation. There are a number of factors to consider when choosing siding contractors, including whether or not the job will be completed correctly from start to finish. You should ask around and do your research. Find out who your local friends and family recommend, and take the time to read reviews online.
About the Author:
David composes for points like Home Improvement, Kitchen stylistic layout, Garden or travel-related themes furthermore; he has an enthusiasm for the metal structure industry for over ten years, Kylo has become an accomplished structure expert in this industry.
He will probably assist individuals with his huge information to help them with his best recommendations about various Home Decors, for example, Doors Replacements, Siding, Windows Replacement, siding replacement, and business structures.