When it comes to writing an effective and impactful college essay, communication of your ideas is vital. It is mandatory that after going through your essay, the reader must have a complete understanding of its contents. How do you make sure of this? Yes, you are absolutely right. You can make sure of this with the use of transition words and phrases in your college essays. Such words and phrases act as a bridge between different parts of an essay and enable the reader to understand them better.
However, do you know what the definition of transition words is? Do you know what words can be used for the purpose of a smooth transition in a college essay? Most probably, you do not know the answer to these questions. Well, there is no need to worry. In today’s article, we will discuss transition phrases and words in detail. First of all, let’s define them.
What are transition words and phrases?
Transition phrases and words are linking words that connect the ideas discussed in one paragraph of a college essay with the other. These words help the audience in jumping from one idea to another in a smooth manner without creating any difficulty. Moreover, transition words are the words that set the base of the upcoming idea in the next paragraph. Hence, this is what these words mean.
Why is using transition words important in an essay?
Transition phrases and words help the ideas discussed in your essay flow smoothly. Along with this, there are many other uses of these words that make them important. Do you know about those uses? A brief description of all those in the form of bullet points is as follows:
- Transition words connect the ideas and thoughts discussed in your essay
- The introduction’s transitional words help you present the major facts about your essay
- They are important because they allow you to round up any idea or result
- These words help readers progress from one argument discussed in the essay to another
- They show important relationships that exist between your discussed ideas
Hence, these are some of the important that make the use of transition words and phrases important in a college essay. Hence, proved that these words are important and must be used. However, if you do not know how to use them in an essay, get help from essay writing services.
What are the types of transition phrases and words?
After reading the information above, you now have an idea of what these words are and why using them in college essays is important. Now, let’s look at the types of these words and phrases. Hence, a brief description of the types is as follows:
- The transition between sections. When your essay is lengthy, transition words are used between different sections. They are used to summarise the information presented in a particular section of an essay.
- The transition between paragraphs. It is the second type of transition that you will mostly see in college essays. These words are especially used when you jump from one paragraph to another. This type links the upcoming idea with the idea discussed.
- The transition within a paragraph. It is the third type of transition words. Such transition phrases give a clue to the reader about what is coming next. They are usually single words or small phrases in a college essay.
Effective transition words and phrases to use in college essays
Transition words are an important aspect of college essays. Without their use, you cannot communicate the ideas discussed in your essay clearly. However, do you know what those effective words are? Some of the words with respect to their categories are as follows:
And, again, then, besides, further, finally, furthermore, equally important, nor, too, next, exactly, lastly, what’s more etc.
Because, for, since, for the same reason, evidently, furthermore, moreover, besides, indeed, in fact, in addition, in any case, that is etc.
Whereas, but, yet, on the other hand, in contrast, in the meantime, however, nevertheless, on the contrary, by comparison, compared to, up against, although, conversely etc.
Definitely, extremely, obviously, in fact, indeed, in any case, absolutely, positively, naturally, surprisingly, always, forever, perennially, eternally, never, emphatically
To show time
Immediately, thereafter, as soon as possible, soon, after a few hours, finally, then, later, previously, formerly, next, then etc.
To sum up, transition words and phrases make understanding the college essay easy. These words explain the relationship between the ideas discussed in the essay. In this guidepost, we have discussed the most effective transition phrases and words. Hence, look above at all the words and use them accordingly as per the situation you are in. So, learn them and use them.