The QuickBooks software can occasionally stop working, thus causing significant
disruption in your work. However, numerous customers rely on this accounting software
to manage their work. When it stops operating on Windows 10, your day may get more
That’s the reason we have created this article to help you resolve the problem.
In this article, we will take you through the detailed reasons why such a problem arises
on Windows 10.
Before that, let’s understand the occurrence of such an error in the QuickBooks desktop.
Why Has QuickBooks Stopped Working in Windows 10?
Below mentioned pointers explains why Quickbooks for Windows 10 has abruptly
ceased to work:
• Firstly, your Windows 10 PC may have been upgraded.
• It’s possible that the program is incompatible. As a result, Quickbooks for
Windows may not function properly.
• At last, Intuits entitlement service may not be running on your system.
Possible Solutions To Resolve the Error of QuickBooks has
stopped working on windows 10
If any condition causes the software to stop working while running Quickbooks for
Windows 10, you can first add a new user admin. If this does not resolve your problem,
you can rename the QBWUSER.ini file and verify for coherence.
Solution 1: Create a New Admin User for Windows 10
It’s likely that Quickbooks for Windows 10 has ceased running, thus owing to installation
issues. Installing a faulty version of Windows can easily cause such an issue. As a
result, we recommend that you create a new administrator account in Windows 10.
Moreover, it is necessary to open the Windows 10 settings in order to create it. To create
the new admin user account, follow the below-mentioned steps:
• Select the "Start" icon.
• Navigate to " Settings."
• Choose "Accounts."
• Press “Family & Other Users & quot
• Select "Add Someone Else to this PC.& quot
• Follow the instructions provided on your screen. You will be able to create a new
admin user for Windows 10 in no time.
After implementing the above steps, if the error still remains, move to the next solution.
Solution 2: On Windows 10, change the name of the QBWUSER.ini file
In the following fix for QuickBooks has stopped working after Windows 10 update, we
recommend that you change the name of the QBWUSER.ini file.
In addition to this, you can change the name of the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file. Your
data will be deleted, and the error will be resolved.
You must open these files before making any changes to their names. After you’ve
located them in their appropriate folders, simply right-click on each file and make the
necessary changes. Please read the following 5 steps to determine the location of the
files as well as the necessary edits:
• To begin, locate the "QBWUSER.ini & quot files folder.
• After you’ve located the file, right-click on it and select "Rename."
• Put " .old & quot after the name of this file.
• After that, rename the "EntitlementDataStore.ecml & quot file.
• When Quickbooks for Windows 10 launches, you may now access any file by
clicking on it.
Also, note that when you attempt to modify the name of the "QBWUSER.ini" file, the
data stored in the company file list that you recently opened is erased. You can reopen
your files to add them to the list.
Solution 3: Check for Windows 10 compatibility
Checking for compatibility can also aid in troubleshooting an error like the Quickbooks
for Windows has stopped operating. To check the compatibility, right-click on the
programs shortcut and select Properties. The Compatibility option will be available here.
You can select an appropriate Windows version and then click Apply. After that, you can
launch QB and do your tasks.
• Select Properties from the menu when you right-click on the programs shortcut.
• Navigate to the "Compatibility & quot; tab.
• Choose from Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1.
• Now click the & quot Apply & quot button.
• Then, Click on the "OK & quot; button.
• Finally, launch the "QuickBooks & quot; application.
If the QuickBooks program is fully operational, the issue that was stopping it from
functioning will have been resolved.
Solution 4: On Windows 10, Enable Sharing
The inability of quickbooks for Windows 10 to function may be due to the disabling of
sharing access. As you may expect, all you have to do to solve this problem is switch
them on. You may enable sharing access by searching for Sharing in the Start Menu
and then selecting Manage Advanced Sharing Settings. Select All Networks and then
push the arrow. After expanding the settings, click the Turn off Password Protected
• In Windows 10, locate the "Start Menu."
• In the "Search" field, enter "Sharing." Check that "Windows 10 Sharing Access & quot
is turned on.
• Select "Manage Advanced Sharing Settings."
• Select "All Networks & quot; from the drop-down menu.
• On the right, press the downward-pointing arrow.
• The options are presently being broadened. Locate the toggle button labeled
"Turn off Password Protected Sharing."
• Click the "Save & quot button.
• Use the software. A link to your company file must be established.
• If "QuickBooks & quot; does not open, check the QB & quot Multiple Configurations or
Configuration that hosts the database server. You can also double-check the
"Firewall Port Settings." Finally, you may ensure that the "File Sharing & quot setting
has been appropriately executed on your server.
It is not difficult to resolve the issue Quickbooks has stopped working for Windows 10 by
using the solutions listed above. Still, if the error persists, you can connect with the
technical team for further assistance.